The Columbia Museum of Art opened in 1950 and has offered Columbia residents and visitors great national and international art as well as local art. During the year, temporary exhibitions can be seen on a rotating basis in several galleries. The museum's diverse collection of American and European paintings, sculpture, prints, drawings, and decorative arts provide a range of works from ancient times to the present. Educational programs are offered year-round and include lectures, films, musical presentations and children's activities.
Of special interest is the Samuel H. Kress Collection. Mr. Kress, founder of the S.H. Kress dime stores, assembled a collection of world renowned Baroque and Renaissance art. Mr. Kress gave his collection of art to museums and universities across the country. Through the generosity of the Kress Foundation and additional private gifts, the Columbia Museum of Art is home to one of the most impressive collections of Baroque and Renaissance paintings, sculpture and furniture in the Southeast.
The Columbia Museum of Art relocated to a new museum on July 18, 1998. Located at the corner of Main and Hampton Streets, it is now the largest art museum in South Carolina. The 21,000 square feet of exhibition space is three times larger than the previous museum home. The new museum also features a 160 seat auditorium, an art library, cafe, museum shop, public receiption area, and a plaza and gardens area.
FREE admission every Saturday courtesy of BlueCross BlueShield. Telephone: (803) 799-2810